I have now joined the program and installed it here on my home machine. The first few times I attempted an install, I was getting a failure code of 80070643 when attempting to install… The install then bombs out
Looking through the install log, located at “C:ProgramDataMicrosoftMicrosoft Security EssentialsSupport”, I see this error
SI (s) (E0:1C) [19:17:10:808]: Note: 1: 1401 2: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareClasses*shellexContextMenuHandlersMSSE 3: 5
MSI (s) (E0:1C) [19:17:10:808]: Product: Microsoft Security Essentials — Error 1406. Could not write value to key SoftwareClasses*shellexContextMenuHandlersMSSE. System error . Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.
It turns out that, obviously, the permissions on that key were incorrect. I couldn’t just set to inherit so I had to manually do some permissions updates and then rebooted. I then ran the install again and it ran all fine.
After the update, I ran my scans and it all came up good, nice to know… It is only taking up 3K of memory during activity, I’ll see how it goes for scans, which honestly, I don’t do a lot of anyway. So It is off to a good start so far, it’ll be interesting to see how it goes once I really start ripping into some activities that may or may not be regarded as questionable.
So far my it has grabbed my interest. I will add it to a couple of older laptops I have that are running Windows 7 RC as well