Since Colleen has had her School reunion, It always had been in the back of my mind to keep an eye out for mine. Well, Thanks to the wonders of Facebook, we had a reunion last weekend. It has been 20 years since we all graduated from School in Year 12. yes, 20 years… We all caught up at a restaurant in Alexandra headland, a nice mid-point on the coast and extra good as it is only a a couple of blocks away from my Brothers place so he could do babysitting of Emily and jasper.
it all started off a bit difficult as i hadn’t seen anyone since I had left and I was hardly the most popular guy in school, quite the opposite in fact. Anyone, a few beers kicked in and with some Dutch Courage under my belt, things started to go a bit smoothly. It was great to see how people were doing and what they were up to. After talking to a bunch of people, i started to see a bit of a pattern in a number of areas.
- The strongest connections were made in Primary School. Most people remembered me from Primary rather than High School
- Not many people were doing what they thought they were gonna do in school
- Hardly anyone is doing what they did straight out of school or what they studied in Uni initially.
- Nearly everyone wishes they’d been taught more social skills and been better prepared for the real world
- the pressure to achieve good marks and go to Uni was given waaay too much importance and focus.
It is amazing that after all that time, so many people agreed on so many areas. I had such a fantastic time and I was glad that I was able to catch up with some old friends and re-acquaint myself with other students. I was suprised at how many people did remembered me and the things that I was remembered for… it was a great evening