Well, we finally did it. After having created our new WSS 3.0 SharePoint Site in early November, we finally got the content finalised and uploaded and sign-off to go live with our new Intranet for BSR Australia.
- I decided that SharePoint would be great for our intranet. The intranet hasn’t been touched in years and it was looking woeful. It was a PHP site hosted on one of our Linux Servers and the Price was the main excuse for staying with it.
- I did up a quick Dev Server to get familiar with WSS 3.0
- I built the Test Server and then we demonstrated the WSS 3.0 b2 product in early July
- We started off then with a Test Server in WSS b2TR and worked out how we could adapt SharePoint to work for our Users
- We upgraded to the RTM version as soon as we were able to download it.
- We built our Production Server not long after
- The infrastructure was set up and awaiting sign-off’s and content when all the BSL kerfuffle happened.
- New Year, New Boss and we are back on track in January
- We uploaded initial content this week and finalised permissions levels
- We have launched as of today.
In a note that will make Dugie happy, the SharePoint Server is a Virtual machine hosted in VMWare 2.5 on a Dell 6650. The Databases are on a Virtual Database Server hosted on an identical Server.
Next up is to integrate Great Plains and get some Workflows going and to convert the forms from Word to InfoPath.